Chris’s Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
Florida Beach Bar Venue Manager, Chris is a big fan of this gooey chocolate dessert. His favourite way to eat it is with fresh cream and strawberries. An easy to make dessert, it’s a great sweet to make for the whole family to share. The perfect sidekick to this mouthwatering molten chocolate lava cake recipe is our Spiced Hot Chocolate. When it comes to the best chocolate recipes, we’ve got you covered.
Molten chocolate lava cake ingredients:
- 170g high quality semi-sweet chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- Ice-cream, cream, berries and/or chocolate syrup for optional toppings
Molten chocolate lava cake method:
- Using a 12-count muffin pan, spray half of the pan (to make 6 cakes) with non-stick cooking spray and dust with cocoa powder.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Place butter into a medium heat-proof bowl and add chopped chocolate on top. Microwave on high in 10 second increments, stirring after each until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs and the egg yolks until combined.
- Pour the flour mixture and the egg mixture into the bowl of chocolate. Slowly stir everything together, gently using a whisk to get rid of any lumps. Combine until the batter is slightly thick.
- Spoon chocolate batter into the muffin tray (only half, to make six cakes).
- Bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes or until the sides appear solid and firm- the tops will still look soft.
- Allow the molten chocolate lava cake to cool for 1 minute, then using a spoon carefully release the cakes from the muffin pan and place each upside down onto plates.
- Add toppings of choice and serve immediately.